Tuesday 6 January 2009

Extended Major Project Begins!

So begins my Magnum Opus! The final chapter in my journey through university modelmaking! In this project I will be creating two pieces of work, one is a live brief. In this first post I will breifly outline the two projects.

Project 1: "Tracking Dinosaurs" live brief from the National Museum of Wales.

In this project I will be producing a short educational documentary about how footprints become fossilized. Many prehistoric footprints of early Dinosauria have been found in Wales. South Wales was a large plain made up of river systems in the Triassic period - about 250 million years ago. During the period of Earth's history the first Dinosaurs appeared. They left evidence in the form of fossilized bones and footprints that can give us clues as to the way that they lived. The purpose of the documentary is to follow the life of the footprint from when it was made by a Plateosaurus, to when it was unearthed by paleontologists - and all the processes it went through inbetween.

My learning aggreement requires me to model the Plateosaurus as accuartely as I can, however I wish to place it in an eductional context that will be attractive to industry at the show.




Project 2: Hobby model kit of the ship "Kosmonaut Yuri Gagarin."

This project is a somewhat unorthodox one. I will be designing a model kit intended for hobbyists, the model will be of the Soviet sattellite tracking ship "Kosmonaut Yuri Gagarin." My learning aggreement requires the digital design as the final outcome, however if time and funds allow I will have the designs rapid prototyped and then mould and cast a few samples for the show.






















The first stage is research, which will follow in this log.

No comments: