Thursday 27 November 2008

Fur really is murder - Part 3.

Having layed out Tigger's UVs I thought I'd give some fur effecs a go. Boy was that a mistake. Though once I got the hang of it results started to come through, and I'm pleased so far. The first step was to create a new fur description. All you see at this point is white spikes placed all over the body. However, after you edit some atributes like global scale, hair widths and so on it starts looking more like a coat of fur. The first thing you have to do is comb the fur into the directions you want, as they are all over the place to begin with. After combing you get something like this:



Once all the combing was tweaked to satisfaction I started editing attributes such as length, scraggle, clumping, and many others to get somewhere to start with:



The next step is to paint on the length map, so that the hair is the right length at a given point. Other attributes still needed tweaking at this stage. To cut a very long, complicated and laborious story short I ended up with this:


There is still a long way to go, but it's a pleasing start.

No comments: