Saturday 15 November 2008

Tigger takes shape

I'm more or less at the end of the modelling stage now. I've tried to create a bald cat, but slightly fleshed out so as to reduce the amount of fur I would have to put on him. His poly count is 2470 tris, which is pretty good considering I wanted to keep him low poly for easy fur rendering.

I've re-proportioned him a little, as he was built more like a panther than a domestic cat, so I've reduced his general beefyness but he's still quite muscular as TB is. Here's a screen shot.



I have found out that the workflow for a furred character is this:

  • Model
  • Lay out UV's
  • Texture/materials
  • Fur
  • Rig
  • Skin
So this makes actually applying fur risky time wise. I think that I will procede to the rigging stage, but only build the rig. When I am happy with the rig I can import his geometry and add fur, then skin him. This should mean I can meet my assessment criteria, and go a little further. I think this is safe as the model didn't take too long.

I have also left certain things off the model by request of Steve. To speed things up, I am not required to add an rigged mouth. I.e he will always have his mouth shut. This can be added later. I've also left dtail off the limbs and paws, this can be done with fur and maps instead. this should make him a very efficient, but low res character which would fit Steve's budget in industry.

No comments: