Thursday 20 November 2008

Dem bones dem bones dem dry bones

I've decided rigging is best left to sailors.

Ok well it's easy to get a little discouraged sometimes I guess. The rig so far is thuswise:



Yes, it looks pretty. But it's not a very good rig. So I'm starting again.
The biggest problem I'm having is (predictably) the flaoting clavicle bones. Because these move o much in real cats it needs to be present and articulated on the rig. However normal shoulders (like yours and mine) have very little play in them in comparison, with rotation being their main method of movement. A cats move alot more, as well as rotate, this makes it very tough to control and getting the relationship between the shoulder and the rest of the leg right is downright solid.
I have learned alot from the first rig however, and I'm no stranger to starting over from scratch. So I'll start again, and do it my way.

No comments: